Prosthetics and Orthotics
| Internet Resources
P&O Client Resources
- The War Amps - The War Amps is a Canadian nation-wide registered charitable organization operated
under the direction of war amputees. Programs include Key Tag Service, Address Label Service, CHAMP Program for child amputees,
PLAYSAFE safety message from child amputees to other children,
DRIVESAFE to promote safe driving to prevent injuries due to accidents,
JUMPSTART to provide computer training for multiple amputee children,
Matching Mothers introduces a CHAMP family to the parents of a new amputee, and
The National Amputee Centre to provide Canadian amputees with the latest information on artificial limbs and all aspects of amputation.
- Amputee Dot Ca - A resource for Canadian amputees with many links.
- Amputee Coalition of America - A national, non-profit amputee consumer educational organization representing people who have experienced amputation or are born with limb differences.
Education and Training
- British Columbia Institute of Technology (BCIT) - The main web site
for the Western Canada prosthetic and orthotic education program (1 of 3 programs
- Centre for Biomedical
Engineering - Offers a wide range of consultancy services in the
area of biomedical engineering and medical technology, including training
programs in the area of Prosthetics, Orthotics and Biomechanics.
- College Mérici: Techniques d'orthèses et de prothèses orthopédiques - Canadian prosthetics and orthotics school, located in Québec, with training in french (1 of 3 programs in Canada).
M. Thompson, M.Ed., P.T. - Assistant Professor, Department of Physical
Therapy, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center. Courses and
Teaching concerning Dynamics of Human Motion; Gait Analysis, Prosthetics,
Brown College: Prosthetic and Orthotic Programs - The main web site
for the Ontario prosthetic and orthotic education program (1 of 3 programs
U. (National Centre for Prosthetics and Orthotics) - Australian
P&O school. Description, research activities, news, and other links.
Centre for Training and Education in Prosthetics and Orthotics (U. of
Strathclyde) - Educational information and access to
the RECAL literature database.
University's Prosthetic - Orthotic Centre (NUPOC) - Education information.
of Salford - Description of the U of Salford P&O school.
- NCOPE - The National Commission on Orthotic and Prosthetic Education is the
accreditation body for the orthotics and prosthetics profession in the United States.
- Journal of Prosthetics
and Orthotics - An on-line version of JPO starting from 1989.
of Rehabilitation Research and Development - An on-line version
Online - Lots and lots of links plus discussion groups, journals,
company info, and US related content. Host site for the OANDP listserv.
- Orthopaedic Web Links - Includes many links to Orthopaedic surgery topics.
- Prosthetics and Orthotics International - Prosthetics and Orthotics International is an international,
multidisciplinary journal for all professionals who have an interest in the medical, clinical, rehabilitation, technical, educational and research
aspects of prosthetics, orthotics and rehabilitation engineering, as well as their related topics.
- ISPO (International)
- Main ISPO home page.
- American Academy of Orthotists and Prosthetists (AOPA) - A good start-off point for USA prosthetics and orthotics information.
- OPC - Main page for Orthotics Prosthetics Canada
of organizations associated with Prosthetics & Orthotics - AAOP,
COPA , FAOP, ISPO, NAAOP, NAF, NPOLF, UASA.
Association for the Advancement of Orthotics and Prosthetics - Provides
info about NAAOP, their mission, Written Testimony of NAAOP regarding
Fraud and Abuse, a Consortium for Citizens with Disabilities Position
on Medicare Reform and more.
Research and Development
- Canadian Society for Biomechanics (CSB) - CSB/SCB enhances interdisciplinary communication to improve the quality of biomechanics research and facilitate application of findings by bringing together therapists, physicians, engineers, sport researchers, ergonomists and others who are using the same pool of basic biomechanics techniques but studying different human movement problems.
Society of Biomechanics - Welcome to the home page of the ISB. Here
you will find information about the ISB, biomechanical software and
data contributed by members, and pointers to other sources of biomechanics-related
Information and Resources
Information Resource Unit - Studies the phenomenology of health
information, develops information tools to support evidence-based medicine
and evaluates informational health interventions. Refer to headings:
for Rehabilitation Research and Development (Ottawa, Canada) - Multidisciplinary rehabilitation research.
Computer Applications Group - The Computer Applications Group (CAG)
is part of Institute for Rehabilitation Research and Development at
The Rehabilitation Centre (Ottawa). The purpose of this research and
development group is to investigate and apply computer related technology
to rehabilitation. Information can be accessed on the CAG members, current
projects, and completed projects.
- Toronto Rehab - Research and development activities
National Institute on Disability and Rehabilitation Research (NIDRR) - Part of the Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services
(OSERS) in the U.S. Department of Education. NIDRR contributes to the
independence of persons of all ages who have disabilities by seeking
improved systems, products, and practices in the rehabilitation process.
It does this through grants, contracts, and cooperative agreements with
universities, Indian tribes, research groups, nonprofit organizations,
some profit-making companies, and individuals. Recipients of funds range
from graduate student fellows to university consortia.
- ICORR - International Conference on Rehabilitation Robotics.
- Institute of Biomedical Engineering (IBME) - The IBME is a research institute within the University of New Brunswick, in Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada. The Institute's mandate is to further education, research and community service in biomedical engineering.
- Ottawa Rehabilitation Engineering Service - Rehabilitation Engineering is a specialized service of the Institute for Rehabilitation Research and Development (The Rehabilitation Centre, Ottawa) that uses engineering knowledge and technology to improve the quality and cost effectiveness of rehabilitation.
- REHABTech - Rehabilitation engineering at Monash University, Australia.
Resources, Searches, ...
- Wikipedia - This user generated information site has become the first stop for many information searches. Some information may be biased based on the contributers perspective.
Brittanica - The entire encyclopedia on-line.
- National Rehabilitation Information Center (NARIC) - NARIC is a USA library and information center on disability and rehabilitation. NARIC collects and disseminates the results of federally funded research projects. NARIC's document collection, which also includes commercially published books, journal articles, and audiovisuals.
Interesting Links ...